What is CAMRA
What we do
CAMRA is an independent, voluntary, consumer organisation. Membership is open to all individuals, but corporate entities such as breweries and pubs are not members. CAMRA is governed by a voluntary unpaid national executive, elected by the membership. There are a dozen or so employed staff responsible for central campaigning, research, administration of membership, sales and so forth.
It is no exaggeration to say that CAMRA saved real ale in the U.K. and as a result saved many independent breweries. No new ale breweries were set up in the UK for the fifty years before we were founded.
For more information follow this link to the National Camra web site What is CAMRA?
When we speak of Real Ale we also mean real Cider and Perry. APPLE was formed by CAMRA in 1988 and its aim is to campaign for Real Cider and Perry as part of the CAMRA orgnaisation.
Benefits of CAMRA Membership
Benefits of being a member of CAMRA include receiving the monthly What's Brewing? newspaper, which is always full of interesting articles, and reduced admission charges to most CAMRA beer festivals. CAMRA Benefits also means that several books and guides, produced annually, are available to members at reduced prices.
There are national and local campaigns as CAMRA maintains its efforts to ensure the availability of traditional real ales. It is campaigning to ensure that every pint of beer bought actually contains a full pint: far too many do not. CAMRA campaigns for reduced tax on beer and assistance for smaller brewers.
Branches, like ROB, get involved in Campaigning locally to keep breweries and pubs open and to protect the heritage of Real Heritage Pubs. You can also contact your MP about many issues and if you want to know who they are and contact them you can Find your MP. You never know your MP may be a member of the All Party Parliamentary Beer Group
It should be pointed out that we also meet in pubs very often, where we talk and drink beer a great deal in variable proportions.
Contacts and Joining
You can contact Camra using the links below or you can attend one of our branch meetings or events where you will be most welcome. See Branch Diary for details or contact Mike Robinson, The Branch Membership Secretary
CAMRA - The Campaign for Real Ale
230 Hatfield Road
tel +44 (0) 1727 867201
E-mail HQ: CAMRA
CAMRA National website: National CAMRA
Apply to Join CAMRA now
Twitter / CAMRA_Official
- Thursday, 11:58 : Cheers to the first day of the Pubs Code! Over a decade of campaigning for a fairer deal for tied pub tenants has been a success. #Cheers
- Wednesday, 15:00 : RT @gbbf: Todays #WCW is Sylvia Kopp from the @BrewersAssoc Join her at the festival for a Made in the USA tasting session pic.twitter.com/t6TikMiNi4
- Friday 15th July, 15:50 : RT @GNPUB: Don't miss our beer festival, this weekend 15-17 July. £3 per pint, £1.50 per half, CAMRA discount @CAMRA_Official #Herts #StAlbans #RealAle
- Sunday 17th July, 13:01 : From the 21st-23rd @CAMRA_KBF will be having a camping beer fest Grab your camping gear and head down to Merton Farm pic.twitter.com/KYAE6YB3Zd
- Friday 15th July, 10:22 : RT @inapub: Good news from @CAMRA_Official this morning - pub closures on the decline bit.ly/29B8LKX pic.twitter.com/JNBtLOQvcr